Almost every homeowner has a dream of how to transform their surroundings. But oftentimes the lack of time, energy and know-how get in the way of turning those dreams into reality. The good news? With the steps in place, your landscape transformation can be easy AND fun!
Your landscape redesign process will be a rewarding experience if you take these crucial four steps:
- Set your priorities
- Define your design aesthetic
- Determine your budget
- Pick the right landscape design team
First, determine your priorities.
This simple step will ensure you are pleased with the end result. For your landscape design to fulfill your vision, you need to be specific about your dream. The number one trend in landscape design is creating outdoor living spaces, however the utility of these spaces can vary widely. Put pen to paper and list the priorities for your landscape. For example, should your landscape be designed for:
- Outdoor entertainment
- Safe, kid or pet-friendly play spaces
- Eco-friendly or water conservation design
- Lower maintenance
- Masking noise or other nuisances
Keep in mind that these priorities are not mutually exclusive, but can be ranked in order of importance.
Second, define your design aesthetic.
Similar to interior design, landscape designs have distinctive styles. Before embarking on the landscape design process, it’s important to identify your style preference. Not sure where to start? Here are some styles to consider:
- Traditional landscape, featuring designated areas for flower gardens and edible herbs and vegetables, outdoor living features such as a fireplace or built-in grill, paths and seating areas with brick, stone, pavers and wood.
- Modern landscape, featuring bold geometric designs, contrasting plant selections with concrete metal and wood surfaces.
- English or Country garden, featuring less formal, looser, asymmetrical designs, fragrant flower groupings and cobblestone paths.
- Mediterranean or Italian, featuring stonework, terra cotta, fountains, urns and gravel paths.
While it’s not necessary to create a vision board, it’s smart to provide your landscape designer with specific direction on your design aesthetic. A helpful approach is to share pictures of landscapes you like for inspiration.
Determine your budget
It’s the elephant in the room, but it is also key to turning your landscape dream a reality. When approaching your landscape design project, have a realistic idea of your budget. When deciding what to spend, keep in mind you will get a return on our investment. Just ask renovation expert Bob Vila, who reinforces the fact good landscape design can add up to 20% of value to your home. Another rule of thumb: The American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) recommends that homeowners invest 10 percent of the home’s value in landscaping.
Finally, pick the right landscape design team
Once you’ve completed steps 1 through 3, it’s time to bring your dream to life with the right landscape designer. When choosing the right partner for this exciting journey, make sure the landscape design team fulfills these requirements:
- They come highly recommended: The proof is in the pudding, and if the landscape designer has happy customers, it’s likely you will be happy, too.
- They are a licensed professional: Because your landscape can affect major issues such as water drainage, it’s important to hire someone who is educated and experienced.
- They listen: It’s important the designer understands your vision.
- They can perform installation services: A great design is just that. It’s ideal to work with a designer who has a talented team that can bring the design to life. Plus, it will ensure the team is experienced and knowledgeable in installing all the features included in the design.
The team at Handy Andy Outdoors fulfills all of these requirements, and we would love to hear about your dream landscape. Contact us today!
Click below to be taken to a calendar to schedule your consultation with us today!Design and Installation Services